We are accepting podfics for the dracotops_harry Fest. The idea is to give people who are not writers or artists a chance to actively participate in the fest. And to give writers and artists a chance to do something new. ♥
What is a podfic?
A podfic is a mp3 or m4b audio file of a story read aloud and recorded with a digital audio editor like GarageBand or Audacity (free). They can be played on any mp3 player or other digital listening device. Podfics can be short drabble readings or hours-long audio books. Some podfics use music and other sound with the reading, others rely solely on the voice of the reader.
Recording podfics is extremely fun. It is something everybody can do, no matter your writerly and artistic talents (or lack thereof ;)). Don't be shy about your voice and accent; people love to hear all kinds of readings. And don't let the technical aspects deter you if you are toying with the idea of signing up as a podficcer for the dracotops_harry Fest. It is very simple. If you run into any problems, contact the mods. They are happy to help you along the way.
You can find many wonderful HP fanfiction podfics at the hp_podfic_fest or under the Harry Potter tag at amplificathon.
How does podficcing for the dracotops_harry Fest work?
During prompting we are asking every prompter to leave us a link to a story they would love to have as a podfic. This is an optional part of prompting but we hope to collect a nice pile of story suggestions.
During claiming, there will be the option to sign-up as podficcer. We will collect all "prompted" stories into a list for you to choose from for podficcing. You can of course also choose a story that is not on the list.
What stories can be chosen for podficcing in the dracotops_harry Fest?
• Only Draco/Harry and top!Draco stories can be chosen. No switching fics, please; no bottom!Draco and/or top!Harry.
• The stories can have any rating.
• The stories can have any length. Please be aware, though, that reading a story aloud takes a lot of time. A story of about 10K makes a huge podfic of about one hour length (which may take up to 10 hours or more work on the recording).
• The stories can be written by the podficcer themselves, or by someone else (with author's permission).
• We expect the recorded stories to be pre-published. They do not have to be written for the fest; however, they need to be recorded specifically for the fest.
• Anybody can make a podfic, no matter what kind of English you speak. Also, if English is not your mother tongue, we encourage you to offer your particular voice and accent for podficcing.
Finished podfics are due on March 20, 2019.
Please submit a working download link of the podfic, the header, and – if you have any – the cover art.
For the submission
• we expect you to have received permission to podfic from the author before submitting the podfic to us. You may also refer to the list of Podfic Friendly Authors in the HP Fandom.
• your podfic should be beta-ed, meaning: someone should have listened to it in its entirety and point out missing words or paragraphs, repeated lines and such.
• your podfic needs to be uploaded to a file-sharing account (such as Mediafire). Posting will be done by the mods, so for submission, please email the download links and header information to email@example.com. The fest podfics will be hosted at our own website.
• you may provide your own cover art for the podfic. Cover art should be 400x400 pixels in size and submitted as a .jpg or .png file. If you don't provide your own cover art, we will use a standard dracotops_harry Fest cover, based on the fest banner.
Here is the header template for submitting podfics:
The name of the podficcer will be posted with the podfic, so please do mention your names when your create the podfic and the cover art. We ask you, however, to please not repost your podfics anywhere else before the end of the fest.
Resources for Podficcers
List of Harry Potter Pro-Podfic Authors
Sign-up Form for Pro-Podfic Authors
raitala's Guide to Record your first Podfic
fire_juggler's How to Podfic: Pointers to Guides and Tutorials
fire_juggler's Why Podfic? Monologue
dr_fumbles_mcstupid, Tutorial for Podficcing With Your iPad